Sundbyberg was detached from Bromma (which since 1916 is in Stockholm Municipality) in 1888 as a market town (köping). It got the title of a city in 1927. In 1949 parts of Solna Municipality and Spånga Municipality (when the rest of Spånga was amalgamated into Stockholm) were added. A proposed merger with Solna in 1971 was never implemented, making Sundbyberg, with an area of 8.83 square kilometres (3.41 sq mi), the smallest municipality in Sweden, but also the most densely populated. The municipality prefers to call itself a city, which, however, has no legal significance.